Shannon Berrey

Pump, pump, pumpkins up!

Friday, October 07, 2011

 TA-DA! 

I showed you my naked funkins yesterday. Well, they got all dressed up and I high-tailed them out to the resort my husband runs, Balsam Mountain Preserve, for their Fall Festival debut.

They obligingly posed on the back stairs for me before being shoved in the back of the car.

You can find these faux pumpkins at many places. I have seen them at Target and Michaels {Use your coupon because they aren't cheap} They come in 2 sizes--expect to pay about $6 for the small and $10 for the large. I used what I had to give them some personality.

First up: Martha Stewarts glitter. I love this stuff. It's super fine and comes in great colors. I made this Santa with the Brownstone a few years back. The 3 on the right came in a little kit that was on clearance at W-M for $2! 

The funkins are a little bit slick, so I used a small amount of glue to first outline my leaves.  {You can't use a pencil on these guys, so if you want to sketch something out, I suggest using a washable marker}

  

.Then I squirted some glue inside of the outlined area.  I used a small paintbrush to fill it in with a really thin layer {the glue will drip if you use a lot--lesson learned}.

     Then shake on your favorite sparkles. I combined colors for a 'fallish' effect. After all the leaves were done,  I used a dry paintbrush to remove the excess glitter that likes to linger.  

These guys got some glittery polka-dots.

Because I love what a good Sharpie can do, I used it to recreate the resort's logo. You may recall seeing the logo before when I used it in this project.

 

His neighbor got a new Sharpie skin, as well.

I used the horizontal wrinkles... creases... indentions {what the heck are they called?} to guide my zig-zags. I wasn't looking for perfect. I also didn't color it completely black--I like seeing a little bit of the orange. 

Left over upholstery tacks helped to monogram a BMP on another. I sketched out a design on a piece of paper and taped it on. You have to make some creases in order to form the paper around the curve of the pumpkin.

  It's really easy to push the tacks in. Following my sketch, I spaced them as I went, trying to get each to touch. ideally I would have used smaller tacks, but, this is what I had.

 

I thought I would be able to rip the paper out from underneath the tacks, but it didn't work. 

So, I had to take all the tacks out to remove the paper. But, the holes were there, so it was easy to put the tacks back in. Look closely and you can see the pattern.

 

 I had just enough tacks to attach 2 rows of a striped ribbon around the middle of the last one {bottom of pic}

They look good in their new home. Unfortunately, I have no pics of their new digs--I forgot my camera.  

But, just in case you are worried about them, check out this video of Andie McDowell showing off their new neighborhood. She happens to call this home as well:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is happening as we speak and it's only going to get better :

I hope your weekend is full of Fall's amazing beauty!


Shannon Berrey Bio
I'm an artist, interior designer, wife and mom. Join me here as I share projects, ramblings, and inspirations.
connect Email Share
Follow Me on Pinterest

Follow by Email


Paint Party
sponsors sponsor
recent posts
Browse Home Office Products on Houzz- For Example:



legacy home builders
thanks for the mention

Decor Allure
The Nesting Place
ATL Homes and Lifestyles Mag
 From the Right Bank
 Living Life Outload
 Designing Domesticity
 Fieldstone Hill
 Effortless Style
 k.f.d. designs
 
Emily A. Clark
 leaf and letter handmade
 Cottage and Vine
Wendy Updegraff
sugarplum

Rambling Renovators

Tip Junkie

Sara's Art House

High Heeled Foot in the Door

Ohdeedoh



Knock Off Decor

studioten25

Room RX

One day at a time

Upscale Downhome

archive
sponsors
sponsor
Shannon Berrey Design Blog

Grab a Button