Shannon Berrey

DIY dorm vanity

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

 

On the very top of Maris' wish list for her dorm room was a little vanity area. Luckily, they had the space for this, so I got busy thinking how to put one together. We found a small desk at Target in the Room Essentials Collection that was perfect.

 

 

I drew 2 options for Maris to decide all of the different color options she wanted to use. 

Next step was finding a seat. We lucked out and found a cute Eames-style chair on a trip to Screen Door. 

It was a little gross so I gave it a good bath in Pine Sol and then covered the legs in plastic bags and painters tape. The seat is plastic so I first used a clear plastic primer spray paint

And then it got covered in several coats of Emerald Isle blue spray paint.

After it was dry, I flipped it upside down, covered the seat with plastic and sprayed the legs in orange spray paint. The chair sat a little low so I made a super stuffed chevron pillow to sit in the seat to add a few inches. 

We already had this Ikea frame that was black.

I also covered it in the blue paint. I had a mirror cut and discarded the glass.

Then I used one of my favorite products-- a core door!  Here are a few of my previous core door projects: 

{Prom Board}

{wedding board}

  

 

I went with the 36" x 80" door and spent $25. This became the perfect backdrop to the vanity.

 

 .

I measured up 30" and put down painters tape. Then I primed the edges and about 6" around the upper 30".

 

When the primer was dry, I painted it with semi-gloss white paint and then removed the tape.

We decided to cover the inside of the white paint with cork. This way it could serve two purposes -- to hold the mirror, as well as pictures, notes, etc.

 

The cork came in a 24"x48" roll. I used 2 rolls. Both rolls were cut to 33" which left 1 horizontal seam. I suggest using the cork from Michael's because it is thicker than the rolls we found at Wal-Mart and Lowes. I wanted to paint it the same color as the orange Premier Print Fabric. The fabric hadn't arrived yet so I looked at it on my computer and tried to color match it.

 

Not easy, but I think it's pretty close.

 

 

I also had 12" cork tiles that I primed and painted. I wasn't sure which would work better - the roll or the tiles. The tiles curled up a bit when they were painted and I was afraid they wouldn't attach great, so I went with the rolls. 

Using construction adhesive, I applied it to the back of the cork leaving a 1 1/2" painted white border on all sides.

   

 

Make sure that you lay something heavy on it as it dries because it bubbles if you don't. The next day, I drilled 2 wood screws right through the cork and into the wood to support the mirror and it was complete!

 

The door simply props up against the wall and the vanity sits right in front.

 

I really wanted to attach a sconce over the mirror, but I ran out of time.

I think it needs a sconce...

I think I need to back to Raleigh this weekend to install a sconce....

{back me up, peeps!}

 

 

 




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Post has no comments. blog comments powered by Disqus

Shannon Berrey Bio
I'm an artist, interior designer, wife and mom. Join me here as I share projects, ramblings, and inspirations.
connect Email Share
Follow Me on Pinterest

Follow by Email


Paint Party
sponsors sponsor
recent posts
Browse Home Office Products on Houzz- For Example:



legacy home builders
thanks for the mention

Decor Allure
The Nesting Place
ATL Homes and Lifestyles Mag
 From the Right Bank
 Living Life Outload
 Designing Domesticity
 Fieldstone Hill
 Effortless Style
 k.f.d. designs
 
Emily A. Clark
 leaf and letter handmade
 Cottage and Vine
Wendy Updegraff
sugarplum

Rambling Renovators

Tip Junkie

Sara's Art House

High Heeled Foot in the Door

Ohdeedoh



Knock Off Decor

studioten25

Room RX

One day at a time

Upscale Downhome

archive

    sponsors
    sponsor
    Shannon Berrey Design Blog

    Grab a Button