Shannon Berrey

Gold {copper} leafing = easy peasy

Tuesday, January 22, 2013


I shared my new pillows with you yesterday and today we'll discuss those puppies above the pillows.



I found 4 framed hunting dog paint-by-numbers on this trip with some blogger friends. When I first spied them at Screen Door, I was a little hesitant. But, Angela was quick with 'Are you nuts??! Buy these this second!!' {I may be paraphrasing a bit} and therefore they became mine. As you may know, I have a bit of a crush on paint-by-numbers {remember this room??} and dogs...

They hung on my dining room wall 'as is' for a while. Until I decided to give the frames a little brassy, gold, goodness. Here's where they started au naturel.




I loved them like this. But, there is a lot of wood in this room, so I thought a little sparkle would be great. I popped out the painting and sat it aside. I cleaned the frame with a damp papertowel and then sprayed it with adhesive.




This is not what the directions say to use. They want you to buy a special paint-on-for-leafing-adhesive, but I kinda thought 'sticky is sticky' and didn't feel like buying something just for this purpose. I had spray adhesive, so thats what I used {outside} and then let it sit for a minute. 



Then I opened my package of gold leaf...ummm... copper leaf? ...dang it. I thought I bought gold leaf. Well, let's just roll with it and see what happens.



I started laying the sheets onto the frame and then working it with a soft brush into all of the cracks.  Overlapping slightly until the whole thing was covered. Now this jazz is really, really thin. Like Housewives on Bravo thin. If you miss a section, no problem, simply place another piece of leaf over any missing areas. 



It looks pretty rough at this point. You have to keep working the brush over the frame allowing all of the excess to fall off or float off. Then, I burnished it with my fingers by rubbing it until it was completely smooth.



It's hard to tell from the picture, but it was really rosy -- the undertones were very pink.  Yuk.  But, this is to be expected when you buy Copper instead of Gold, right?



So I trekked down to my paint area and grabbed some Raw Umber glaze and Pure Gold acrylic paint. I mixed them together and painted the frame with it. It knocked off a lot of the shine and added a layer of brownish-gold that killed the pinky tone perfectly. It added a layer of richness that I loved.  



I popped my dogs back in and hung them in place, 2 on each side. 



It took a package and a half to do all 4 frames. I bought mine at Michaels and I think they were around 7$/pc but, I used coupons {of course!}. A pretty inexpensive project that makes a dramatic change. Have you ever tried it?

 {I've had a few emails about my new fabric on the cushions. stay tuned--I'll share the artist behind the fabric as well as other fabrics I used on my new slipcovered end chairs}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Post has no comments. blog comments powered by Disqus

Shannon Berrey Bio
I'm an artist, interior designer, wife and mom. Join me here as I share projects, ramblings, and inspirations.
connect Email Share
Follow Me on Pinterest

Follow by Email

Paint Party
sponsors sponsor
recent posts
Browse Home Office Products on Houzz- For Example:

legacy home builders
thanks for the mention

Decor Allure
The Nesting Place
ATL Homes and Lifestyles Mag
 From the Right Bank
 Living Life Outload
 Designing Domesticity
 Fieldstone Hill
 Effortless Style
 k.f.d. designs
Emily A. Clark
 leaf and letter handmade
 Cottage and Vine
Wendy Updegraff

Rambling Renovators

Tip Junkie

Sara's Art House

High Heeled Foot in the Door


Knock Off Decor


Room RX

One day at a time

Upscale Downhome


    Shannon Berrey Design Blog

    Grab a Button